Location Nudes – Deserted Buildings
The walls seem to hold echoes of the past. It is easy to visualise the ghosts of previous occupants wandering through their empty rooms. Maybe it takes a creative leap to see them as attractive naked women but when photographing location nudes you can capture whatever you want. This is about interpreting an idea to create an interesting image
Unfortunately health and safety rules in the UK (having said that – be sensible and do not put yourself or your model at risk by entering an unsafe building) so many prime locations are inaccessible and, fearing legal claims, owners are reluctant to allow access.
Good locations are hard to find there is a ruined church near me that that has featured on Purpleport so many times you may find a queue of photographers outside it. I was fortunate that a friend leant me an empty house that was due for demolition for these shoots.
Ideas in practice
Photography is about lighting and composition. We master the technical intricacies to enable us to capture ever changing lighting, movement and complex subjects. We practice and learn to look to improve our composition. When you finally arrive at an exciting location with an attractive model it is all too easy to become overwhelmed.
- Have a concept or an idea
- Explore the lighting. Watch how it changes during the day. Do you want to use daylight or artificial light?
- Think about your composition. Will a different point of view create a more dynamic, exciting image.
Ghostly Nudes – The Technical Stuff
The camera was mounted on a tripod and an images made of the empty room. I used bracketed exposures so that I had control over the dynamic range between the bright window and shadowy interiors. The nudes where then taken using a low shutter speed to introduce a little movement blur and without moving the camera. The ghost images were easy to create using Photoshop layers and adjusting the opacity.
- Photographing Nudes on Location – Deserted Buildings
- Photographing Location Nudes – Woods
- Lighting – Daylight or Artificial?
- One Model – One Light
- Writing With Light – Nude photography lighting
- How To Take Better Nude Photographs
- Photography Modelling Guide
- Creating The Scrap Yard Nudes Calendar
- Model Weather – The Hazards of Location Photography
- Studio Nudes
Opens new tab